why are doctors giving pot cards to teens? my son asked me if i would let him get a pot card because he takes adderol for adhd and he has a hard time eating and falling asleep. this was asked because he has a few friends at school who have pot cards for s

2 doctor answers
24 years experience Psychiatry
Hello. : Hello. I would also be upset if anyone could get a recommendation for use of medical marijuana from a doctor without a substantial reason. The law in washington state does not allow for this. Here is some info about the medical marijuana act in washington. “the act was designed to protect seriously ill and terminally ill patients from state and local criminal penalties for using marijuana medically. Only people with a diagnosis of cancer, HIV disease, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, spasticity disorders, and intractable pain (see specific definitions rcw 69.51a.010, section 4, of the state law) are considered “qualified patients” and can take advantage of the law as a legal defense against marijuana charges.” a "terminal or debilitating medical condition" is defined as: ”(a) cancer, human immunodeficiency virus (hiv), multiple sclerosis, epilepsy or other seizure disorder, or spasticity disorders; or (b) intractable pain, limited for the purpose of this chapter to mean pain unrelieved by standard medical treatments and medications; or (c) glaucoma, either acute or chronic, limited for the purpose of this chapter to mean increased intraocular pressure unrelieved by standard treatments and medications; or (d) any other medical condition duly approved by the washington state medical quality assurance board as directed in this chapter.” the washington state medical quality assurance commission added the following conditions: “crohn's disease with debilitating symptoms unrelieved by standard treatments or medications & hepatitis c with debilitating nausea and/or intractable pain unrelieved by standard treatments or medications”. “a physician must judge whether marijuana is appropriate for treatment of a specific illness or symptom. Simply having a qualifying disease does not automatically qualify anyone for protection under the medical marijuana act. Only a doctor’s recommendation, and documented discussion about the risks and benefits of medicinal marijuana use, will qualify a patient.” i wonder if some of your son’s friends are saying things which aren't accurate. Premenstrual syndrome does not seem to fit the requirements of the law. A physician who practices outside the scope allowed by the law is not protected from penalties and this could be considered criminal conduct.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Glen Elliott
42 years experience Child Psychiatry
Excellent question: I & many others oppose this practice. There is no evidence marijuana helps with adhd & much to suggest it is not good especially for this population. My best guess as to why some doctors authorize use of pot cards is because they are paid to do so or they firmly believe its use should be unregulated and that "medical supplies" are more reliable source with respect to purity and strength.
Answered on Apr 10, 2016
1