my daughter came home from her dads with a fever and red swollen cheeks. what might this be caused by and how do i treat it? he gave her two different medicines within a very short time. we have a cool towel on her head now.

Dr. Laura McMullen
Fever : Fever and red cheeks make me immediately think of fifths disease - also known as "slapped cheeks disease". It is caused by a virus called parvovirus b19 and is a very common childhood illness. It is usually harmless and does not require treatment unless the child also has a chronic disease that can predispose them to anemia such as sickle cell anemia. It can also be a concern if a pregnant woman has been exposed to someone with fifths disease. Below i've linked to website with more in-depth information on fifths disease. In the meantime, it's important to keep your child comfortable and watch for signs of a more serious infection. "red flags" that we look for with fever to indicate something more serious is going on are: -fevers that last 5 days or more -fevers persistently above 104f orally -a child that acts very sick - very irritable or difficult to wake -difficulty breathing -vomiting, diarrhea, refusal to drink, or dehydration -a purple rash, esp on the legs (a red lacy rash on the body is common with fifths disease) -stiff neck -any complaints of pain such as the ear, throat, stomach or a joint as always, use your judgement. If you think that your child is ill, err on the side of caution and call your child's doctor.