Is it normal to get my period while i'm breastfeeding? i've been breastfeeding for already six months and didn't have my period until this morning. my obgyn told me that i wasn't going to get it until 6 to 8 weeks after stop breastfeeding. is this ok?

Dr. John Fung
General Surgery 39 years experience
Suppressing : Suppressing menstruation during breast-feeding is called lactational amenorrhea. Studies have shown that lactational amenorrhea for prevention of pregnancy works best when there is unrestricted breastfeeding without regard to schedules, resulting in six to eight breastfeedings a day will suppress ovulation. In addition, allowing your baby to feed at night takes advantage of the peak of the milk-making hormones that suppress ovulation, which are highest between 1 A.M. And 6 A.M. Nighttime nursing is important to the suppression of fertility. Avoid using supplemental bottles and pacifiers - all of baby's sucking should be at the breast, for comfort as well as food. Delay the introduction of solid foods until age six months or later. Solids should provide additional nutrition, not substitute for breast feedings. If you have had your period, be aware that you can become pregnant and that at this point, you should use some form of birth control if you want to avoid becoming pregnant.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016