U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 29-year-old male asked:

My shin on my right knee that meets the knee protrudes outward, very painful. painfull to walk, kneel, stand up from kneeling, running for a long period of time sometimes very tender to the touch.

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Sports Medicine 28 years experience
If : If you are young and still growing, this may be due to a condition known as osgood schlater's or tibial tubercle apophysitis. This is a problem that generally heals on its own with time and maturity, although there are several options to help the discomfort in the mean time. Ice, anti-inflammatory medications (oral or topical), and a counter-force strap known as a chopat strap can be helpful. Sometimes a period of rest is needed to allow the symptoms to settle down. While the pain will usually eventually resolve, you may be left with a permanent protrusion or bump just below the knee even into adulthood. If you are already an adult...Different diagnosis but similar treatment is often successful. Ultimately it would be best to have this evaluated by you primary care doctor or preferably an orthopedic surgeon.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 9, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.