My shin on my right knee that meets the knee protrudes outward, very painful. painfull to walk, kneel, stand up from kneeling, running for a long period of time sometimes very tender to the touch.

Dr. Brian Chimenti
Sports Medicine 28 years experience
If : If you are young and still growing, this may be due to a condition known as osgood schlater's or tibial tubercle apophysitis. This is a problem that generally heals on its own with time and maturity, although there are several options to help the discomfort in the mean time. Ice, anti-inflammatory medications (oral or topical), and a counter-force strap known as a chopat strap can be helpful. Sometimes a period of rest is needed to allow the symptoms to settle down. While the pain will usually eventually resolve, you may be left with a permanent protrusion or bump just below the knee even into adulthood. If you are already an adult...Different diagnosis but similar treatment is often successful. Ultimately it would be best to have this evaluated by you primary care doctor or preferably an orthopedic surgeon.

Last updated Oct 9, 2017