A male asked:

I have very light essential tremor. i went to the doctor and he gave a beta blocker (propanolol). how to use it? does propanolol just acts on the symptoms, i mean, should i consume it when i want to stop 'shaking' ? does the continuous use of propanolol

Dr. Frances Dyro
Neurology 54 years experience
Propranolol : Propranolol is a drug that was found to have an effect on essential tremor, but is also used at times in thyroid disorders and for hypertension. It lowers the blood pressure and slows a rapid heart rate. It has been in use for some time with a good safety record. Some performers use Propranolol for "stage fright". When i took my neurology boards many years ago, half of my colleagues had taken it the day of the test. If you are taking it for your blood pressure or for migraine prevention, you should take it daily. Your doctor would not have given it to you if you had too slow a heart rate since it can lower it more and make you light-headed.
Dr. Prem Gupta
neurology 48 years experience
Take continuosly : Propanolol must be taken regularly to control essential tremors just like one takes medications for high BP or diabetes.

Last updated Nov 14, 2019