Am i bipolar? my doctor said the odds of me having bipolar disorder are slim because all the members of my family have only been diagnosed with depression. i have no idea but when im on depression medication i am so mad at everything. im either mad or zom

I : I really recommend that you speak to your doctor. If you feel more angry when on antidepressant medication, you need to let your doctor know. It could mean that particular medication is not the right choice for you. You might need a different antidepressant or may even another class of psychiatric medication. If you abruptly stop taking certain antidepressants that can give you more emotional symptoms or can make you physically ill. Please don't give up. Work side by side with your doctor, so that the two of you together can figure out what works best for you.
Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
A good question: In many instances a person with underlying bipolar has only experienced (so far) the depressive pole: the poles often do not alternate. It is then very hard to distinguish "unipolar depression" from "bipolar depression". One important indicator of bpd is indeed significant irritability (or outright mania) provoked by antidepressants. You should discuss this with your prescriber.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016