help i'm in constant pain with grinding my teeth all day long need relief i have been on zoloft (sertraline) for a very long time my grinding has only got worse my doctor and dentist had no answers i have tried a mouth gaurd and it does not help

I : I am just adding a little information to the excellent information already provided by dr. Christensen. As previously stated, you need to address the medication issue with your doctor. It sounds likes bruxism was a pre-existing condition that worsened. If you purchased your mouth guard off the shelf, i suggest you consider talking to your dentist about a custom mouth guard. It may do a much better job for you. You may want to consider deep breathing exercises or progressive relaxation before going to bed at night, because that is when a lot of people do their grinding.
Dr. Stephen Christensen
As : As you've discovered, bruxism (teeth grinding) is more than just a dental issue. People who grind their teeth develop headaches, neck and facial pain, and temporomandibular joint problems, and bruxism has been linked to insomnia and other sleep disorders. It isn't clear from your question whether your bruxism was present before you started taking zoloft (sertraline), (sertraline) but this medication can make bruxism worse. Before any other treatment modalities are considered, it's worth exploring whether it's absolutely necessary for you to continue taking zoloft (sertraline). If a change of antidepressants doesn't address your bruxism -- or if zoloft (sertraline) cannot be discontinued for some reason -- then other therapies should be tried. I've attached a mayo clinic link that discusses bruxism and reviews its treatment. See your doctor to discuss your options. Good luck! http://www.Mayoclinic.Com/health/bruxism/ds00337.
Dr. Travis Campbell
Cosmetic Dentistry 12 years experience
TMD: Bruxism can be cause by several factors, however it tends to be a combined problem of both teeth and muscles. The mouth guard itself is not the solution, it needs to be customized to take pressure off specific locations. However, in advanced cases the muscles also need treatment. Find a dentist that focuses on tmd/tmj or muscle therapy. You can also check trudenta.Com for a dentist near you.
Dr. Dave Burns
Muscle overactivity: You must find a dentist that will treat your TMJ issues and find your normal relaxed jaw position to stop the grinding. Imagine working all day with no rest and you would be sore just like your muscles in your head and neck.