what could be causing my pain in my shoulder? i fractured a bone in my shoulder and the doctors said it has healed. my range of motion has mostly returned, but my arm is still weak and there is a constant pain when i move my arm. it is a dull pain, but it

Dr. James McClurg
34 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
Regardless : Regardless of the fracture once it is healed you should not be having pain from the fracture proper. The fact that your motion returned tells me that this fracture had minimal to no displacement. The constant pain with activities with weakness is not something that will go away on its own. I have a very high index of suspicion for a rotator cuff tear or a labral tear. Other common problems include loose bodies (fragments of cartilage / bone chipped off at the moment of the injury), an impingement process from a slightly displaced fracture. Follow up x-rays should be performed and an MRI should be performed sooner than later. The doctor may prefer to do an MRI arthrogram if he feels you could have a labral tear or loose bodies.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016