U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 36-year-old member asked:

is it true that emotional stress can cause a miscarriage?

2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Specializes in Gynecology
No: There's no data to suggest that emotional stress increases miscarriage rate. Many women are stressed at various times, and when a stressed woman miscarries she tends to think it was because of the stress - but there isn't any data to confirm this as a cause. There is really nothing a woman can do or not do to cause a miscarriage, short of taking a pill for medical abortion.
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Psychiatry 49 years experience
Yes: They have found out that emotional stress may cause miscarriage.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership

Similar questions

A member asked:

Can stress cause my breast milk to dry up?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Pediatrics 36 years experience
Yes: Major stress can certainly diminish breastmilk supply. However, there are things that can be done to counteract the effects of major stress. Drink tons of water (or other non-caffeinated clear liquid) and use fenugreek, an herbal preparation which helps increase milk supply. Dealing with the stress, itself, will also help -- for instance, counseling, yoga and relaxation exercises.
A 44-year-old member asked:

How can I prevent having a miscarriage as a result of amniocentesis or cvs?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Terrence Harris
Obstetrics and Gynecology 23 years experience
Follow instructions: No matter what you do, there is always a risk of miscarriage following these procedures. Most doctors who perform them will tell you to limit your activity for 24-48 hours after the procedure. Make sure to follow all instructions you are given to minimize the risk of miscarriage.
Dr. Celia Dominguez
Fertility Medicine 34 years experience
Ask the doctor their own rates especially for cvs and no doubt the more experience a physician has the lower the risks usually in their hands.
Dec 8, 2014
A 30-year-old member asked:

How can I support a loved one who has had a miscarriage?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Listen: Offer sympathy and understanding. Avoid cliches, platitudes, or judgments. Sometimes saying nothing, just being there and listening is best. Let them know it's ok to grieve. Each of us will go through the process differently and take a different amount of time. Frequently everyone forgets dad, but he's hurting and trying to be strong for his partner.
A 34-year-old member asked:

Is it normal for EKG and stress tests to be normal after stent & 2 angioplasties were done?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Vardhan Reddy
Vascular Surgery 36 years experience
Yes/no : 85% chance of being abnormal. And it can be normal in 15%of pts.
A 29-year-old member asked:

Can raynaud's syndrome caused by emotional stress?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bradley Thomas
Vascular Surgery 19 years experience
It can trigger it: Environmental triggers such as exposure to cold is more common. However, stress can also be a trigger and lead to the symptoms of reynauds. If your symptoms are bothering you significantly you should be seen by your doctor. Vascular surgeons, rheumatologists, and many primary care doctors can help you deal with this disorder.

Related questions

A 27-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
A 23-year-old female asked:
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership
Last updated Sep 13, 2019
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with
membership

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.