the hot water pipe beneath my apt burst and left a fumey smell. it makes my children cough & wheeze. what is going on?

Dr. Javier Chinen
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 30 years experience
Airway irritation: Cough and wheezing are manifestations of airway irritation, which may or may not be allergic, if there is not a concurrent infection. Water leaks promote mold formation relatively fast, especially if with warm environment. Materials used to fix the pipes might also be irritant. Whether allergy or non-allergic your doctor might be able to assess and control these symptoms.
Dr. Gary Snead
ADHD and Autism 34 years experience
Airway irritation: This could be an allergy, it could be chemical, physical irritation of the airways, the air passages in the children's lungs. You should have them seen by their primary health care practitioner.