my three year old girl has some kind of eczema (itchy skin and rash). what kind of doctor should i take her to see to save my time and money and get best result for my girl, a pediatrician, a dermatologist, a family doctor, a hospital, or someplace else?

Dr. James Seward
Dermatology 22 years experience
I : I would recommend a dermatologist that has experience treating children. Perhaps google "pediatric dermatologist" and your city. Dermatologists receive years of special training in skin disease and typically have extensive experience treating eczema. Eczema often is a chronic condition that will require a combination of medications, cleansers, and topical creams or ointments to manage well. Feel free to visit the link below for more information. I hope that helps!
Dr. Powlin Manuel
Allergy and Immunology 51 years experience
Pediatrician?: Good evening, eczema is a very common condition; many pediatricians are familial with its management. Ask your pediatrician if you need to see a specialist; he or she will know whether the condition in your child is related to allergies, as is the case often. If so a visit with an allergist (who are very familiar eczema) will address the cause of exacerbation. Knowing what makes it worse helps.
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Pediatrician: How about starting with your child's pediatrician? He or she is likely to be very experienced in treating eczema in children as this is a very common skin problem. If your pediatrician feels it is medically necessary, he/she may subsequently refer you to a dermatologist if necessary.
Dr. Natalie Geary
I would add that a common treatment for eczema is steroid creams which you must use very cautiously and avoid sun exposure . these creams cause thinning of the skin and blanching. Start with simple things- less frequent long baths, changing detergents, using an allergy free soap etc. the pediatrician should know how to advise.
Apr 12, 2013
Dr. Linda Green
Dr. Linda Green commented
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 45 years experience
Allergists are also experienced in evaluating and treating eczema especially when associated with other conditions such as asthma, food allergies and rhinitis.
Jul 12, 2013
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Your Pediatrician: Should be able to manage the eczema.If it is severe enough, he may refer you to a dermatologist.In any case, it needs to be treated w prescription hi potency topical steroid.Use skin cleansers instead of soap for baths eg cetaphil, aquaphor, aveeno, (oatmeal) eucerin, neutrogena. Crisco is still being used ; very effective.Use cotton textile to avoid further irritation . Give antihistamine for itch comfort.
Dr. Scott Katz
Pediatrician: If it is eczema, most pediatricians see dozens of cases and can take care of it easily. We usually recommend starting with a good moisturizing soap such as dove when bathing. Use a fragrance and dye free moisturizer at least 2-3 times daily, and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at bedtime for itching. Persistent itch patches respond to over the counter 1% Hydrocortisone used twice daily for 1 week only.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016