if a child was kept immobile, as in some cases of child abuse, would they miss out on a vital stage in muscle development and have poor motor function/coordination?

Dr. Laura Webb
Possibly: The outcome of being kept immobile on future coordination would greatly depend on the age and how long the abuse was. Children grow and develop at such an incredible speed children not allowed to do so could get behind. However, with proper physical therapy, counseling and a good support and interdisciplinary medical team there is room for catch up and healing.
Dr. Patrick Pulliam
Yes that can happen: Some of the issue would be mechanical, i.e. Muscle weakness and loss of flexibility/range of motion as the muscles were not used. This is seen in patients after surgeries, injuries, etc. When immobilized. For a child, there is also the issue of muscle and nervous system development and there would likely be some delay and decreased function. Thankfully, with therapy children usually can recover.