can i have my uterine septum removed and the fluid drained from my tube before i lose wgt due to me being in a lot of pain? i went to a fertility clinic and was diagnosed as having a uterine septum and my rt tube filled with fluid. the dr said i would ne

Dr. Ew Moffitt
36 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
At : At this point i would not switch doctors, but i would communicate more with your doctor. A uterine septum does not cause pain. Usually a tube full of fluid does not cause pain. Scar tissue, infection, and endometriosis can cause pain. The decision on when to operate is based on a balance between the indications for the surgery and the possible complications of the surgery. If your pain is severe enough, this may outweigh the benefits of waiting for you to lose more weight. Since there are increased complications of surgery with increased weight, this decision needs to be taken only after careful consultation with your doctor. A fluid filled tube is called a hydrosalpinx. This is the result of a prior infection in the tube. Many studies have shown that this can reduce your chance of getting pregnant. This surgery requires entering your abdomen and it is easier to do this after you have lost the weight. Your risk of an infection after the surgery is also lower. The surgery to take care of a uterine septum is done by a hysteroscopy and your weight is much less of a concern with this surgery. Since this is not the cause of your pain, it seems that the main reason now for the surgery is to take care of your abdominal pain. The hysteroscopy can then be done at the same time.
Answered on Jul 17, 2019