will a tricyclic antidepressant help with sleeping with chronic back pain?

Dr. Michael Joseph
Pain Management 28 years experience
Possibly: There is good evidence that tricyclic antidepressants are helpful in many chronic pain conditions. In addition they can be helpful for sleep. This class of medication does have adverse effects and should be discussed with your physician. Medication in combination with physical therapy, exercise and healthy diet is always more effective.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
TCA & insomnia: Some are used for such, ex. Elavil (amitriptyline) at bedtime.