hi. i've been having persistent swelling, zits, etc. on the tip of my nose for about 5 months. they start out as a pinch type feeling then grow and usually come to a head inside the nostril. skin gets very red and sore. very annoying. can you help?

Dr. James Seward
Dermatology 22 years experience
These : These are probably small cysts or inflamed follicles in the nose (sort of like acne in the nose). This could be a manifestation of harboring a bacteria in the nose that is inflaming the follicles. I would recommend polysporin (bacitracin and polymyxin) ointment for a week or so to the area. If not improved soon, consider a visit to a dermatologist who might perform a culture of the area and maybe prescribe an antibiotic.
Dr. Joseph Rousso
Facial Plastic Surgery 14 years experience
Dangerous zone: I think you should see a physician in person for this. I advise that you not let something like this persist, as the nose is a very dangerous area to have an infection. Any redness that is indicative of an infection on or around your nose can spread to the brain and therefore immediate treatment is advised.

Last updated Jan 20, 2018