I have varicose veins and it has my leg swollen and in pain to the point that it hurts to walk. what do i take to help the pain?

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engravanswered
Emergency Medicine 31 years experience
You : You need to be seen and have an ultrasound (vascular study) on your leg to be sure you don't have a blood clot, which can be fatal. If you don't have a blood clot, you can use compression stockings and medications such as advil (ibuprofen) for the discomfort. There are procedures that can fix varicose veins. However, please be sure immediately that you don't have a clot in your leg.
Dr. James White
Cosmetic Surgery 31 years experience
Ultrasound Review: Varicose veins of the lower extremities can have various sources. With pain, swelling symptoms, one should be concerned about deep venous thrombosis. This life threatening problem can be determined on physical exam and a focus venous ultrasound examination by a physician skill in treating venous disease. Check out the american venous forum or american college of phlebology. I recommend review.
Dr. Phillip Hertzman
Phlebology 50 years experience
Evaluate first: First see a phlebolgist for evaluation of the problem. It is most important to first make sure that there is no deep vein thrombosis. If the problem is due to superficial venous insufficiency there are number of treatments that are possible including ablation of the abnormal veins using a laser, radiofrequency, or sclerotherapy. In the meantime conservative treatment includes leg elevation and compression stockings. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications may be helpful. However it is very important to have an evaluation to make sure there is no underlying severe abnormality.

Last updated Jun 27, 2020