is epivir (lamivudine) safe for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding?

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Gynecology 43 years experience
Yes: Epivir (lamivudine) has not been studied in pregnant women so the risks are not fully known. In rabbits, it increased the risk of miscarriages, but not birth defects. Talk to your doctor about the reasons you are taking Epivir (lamivudine) and the benefits you are getting from it. Those benefits may outweigh any possible risks to your fetus.
Dr. Joel Gallant
Infectious Disease 36 years experience
Yes: Epivir (3tc, lamivudine) is safe, and is a recommended drug for pregnant or breastfeeding women.