how long can i expect the results of my cheek lift to last? i am considering having a cheek lift because i want to look a little younger and a little fresher before my 20 year high school reunion. to keep the results, will i need maintenance every five ye

Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery 21 years experience
A : A cheek lift can effectively be achieved in several ways. A midface lift is performed by placing incisions in the scalp area. Using small endoscopic cameras a tunnel is created down toward your cheek. The cheek tissues are then lifting upward to improve their appearance. Similar improvement to the cheek area can be achieved with volume enhancement using a fat grafting technique or in-office skin filler injection. Additionally, a cheek implant could be considered. This allows for a bit more limited volume enhancement, but there is the benefit that the result is permanent. How long the improvement lasts for the other treatments depends on your anatomy and which procedure(s) you have. Skin filler injection in the office usually lasts 6-12 months depending on which product is used. The surgical treatments should give a longer lasting result such that you would always look better than if you didn't have anything done. You do continue to age so touch up treatments (additional filler or fat transfer) could be done. Complementary treatments such as skin resurfacing can also help with the result by improving the skin layer itself.
Dr. Gustavo Diaz
Facial Plastic Surgery 30 years experience
There : There are different ways to achieve a cheek lift: 1. Cheek lift by modified face lift 2. Mid face lift 3. Cheek implants 4. Fat grafting the important decision is to select a facial plastic surgeon that you feel comfortable trusting with the procedure. My recommendation is to go to different consultations and explore all possibilities and choose the one that fits your facial structure and addresses your unique problems best. The longevity of any facial procedures depends on many factors, but in my experience stress is the major contributor on how we age. The more stress in our lives, the faster we will age. Other factors will contribute, as genetics, smoking, and alcohol intake; but stress is the one that contributes more.
Dr. Tal Dagan
Dr. Tal Dagan answered
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 24 years experience
A : A cheek lift may be achieved in several ways. A midface lift is a type of cheek lift that addresses soft tissues like a facelift does for the lower face and neck, it raises the tissues of the cheek, the laugh lines (nasolabial folds) and plumps up the cheek mound. This surgery will last anywhere between 3 years and 12 years depending on all the general factors that determine how fast you age including sun exposure, smoking, genetics, etc. In the case of a midface lift, there is a cance you may need a touch up (not necessarily surgery) after five years including chemical peel, laser resurfacing or other procedures to complement the appearance of your lower eyelids. Another way to lift the cheek by a procedure called cheekbone augmentation in which we place an implant to make the cheeks appera tighter and rejuvenated, cheek implants last for many many years and dont usually require revision surgery. With good skin care and protection, you can maintain your appearance (pending your own genetics ofcourse) for a long period of time. Consult with your facial plastic surgeon regarding the various options and which option would be best suited to the complaints you may have about your appearance.
Dr. Charles Chalekson
Plastic Surgery 29 years experience
Great : Great question. Your genetics/aging can play a role. We all do not age similarly. Generally the fairer your skin, the more wrinkles and fat loss that occur with aging which can shorten the duration. The technique of correction/surgery can also play a difference. I generally do not recommend 'overcorrection' just so that it lasts longer. If you are considering surgery before your reunion, make sure you allow enough time for adequate healing so that you are not pushing it too close to your deadline. Maintenance can take many different forms, not necessarily the same surgery. As you age, i would suggest re-evaluating your appearance at that time and seeing what bothers you then.
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Everyone : Everyone ages at different rates. I wouldn't expect a cheek lift to need additional touchup surgery every 5 years necessarily, though. One thing that the cheek lift may not fully address is loss of cheek volume. This can be improved with fat transfer or facial fillers. You can check out my links below for more information.
Dr. Julio Garcia
Plastic Surgery 42 years experience
Repeat : Repeat surgery might be needed but it varies from patient to patient, genetics plays a large role as do large weight fluctuations and also impact sports such as running. It should last 5-7 years in most cases, maybe more, but if you tend to gain and lose weight easily, are aging prematurely or jog/run for exercise, it might last less time.

Last updated Aug 29, 2018