Should i take him to the hospital? my son is 8 and has had a sinus infection for over a week.he is very congested and is wheezing and having trouble breathing.i just gave him his treatment.should i wait a while and give him another treatment or take him r

Dr. Laura McMullen
I : I assume that since you are giving your son breathing treatments that he has asthma. Asthma attacks can have various triggers such as respiratory illnesses, allergies, pollution including cigarette smoke and perfume, very cold or hot air, and strenuous exercise. Giving albuterol whether through a nebulizer or inhaler is the first thing you should do for wheezing and respiratory distress. If the treatment is not working or if the child seems to need a treatment sooner than every 4 hours, this is a sign that they may need additional medications such as oral steroids and/or stronger albuterol treatments in an office or hospital setting. You should call your child's doctor and have him seen if it's during clinic hours or take him into the emergency room for evaluation. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.
Dr. Jon Spiers
Thoracic Surgery 31 years experience
You have to decide: Without seeing your son i cannot know, but if he is sick enough that you are thinking of going to the er i would suggest you follow through.

Last updated Jan 28, 2017