can this be a sign of kidney problems? when my son was born he had a "skin tab" on his ear and the doctors told me it might be his kidneys, he was checked and seemed ok. now my son is 5 and he has been waking up with swollen eyelids for about 2wks and to

2 doctor answers
Dr. Laura McMullen
21 years experience Pediatrics
There : There is a slightly increased risk of kidney abnormalities in children with ear abnormalities, though recent research has shown this is not the case with isolated ear tags or pits - just with more severe or multiple ear deformities. That being said, your doctor was very thorough (probably prompted by your history of kidney disease) and appropriately had your child checked. Testing was normal which was great. Likely what is going on now would not be related to that. Chronically swollen eyelids can be a sign of a kidney disease called nephrotic syndrome caused by damaged kidneys losing protein through the urine. There are different diseases that can cause nephrotic syndrome in kids such as: -minimal change disease -focal segmental glomerularsclerosis -membranoproliferative glomerularsclerosis -congenital nephropathy (very rare and shows up in newborns) in order to diagnose what is happenening, your child's doctor may check a urine sample, blood pressure, and may do blood testing. If these are abnormal, they may also send you to a kidney doctor (nephrologist) for a biopsy (obtaining a small piece of kidney) to be certain which disease is causing the nephrotic syndrome and how best to treat it. Since I do not know the cause of your kidney problem, i can't really say if your son's could be related. The best thing to do is to call his doctor to have him evaluated. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Not related: "kidneys were checked" presumably means that he had a kidney ultrasound demonstrating normal kidney anatomy. Swollen eyelids probably not serious, however kidney problem can be ruled out by doing a urinalysis to rule out protein in urine & blood test for BUN & creatinine.
Answered on Jun 10, 2014