I fell on my hand today and now it hurts to bend my thumb, its bruising and hurts when i'm not using it. could it be fractured? i also seem to be having shooting pain to my index finger if i try bending it.

Dr. Francis Dysarz
Hand Surgery 29 years experience
Certainly : Certainly could be. Immediate pain in an extremity after falling on it, followed by bruising shortly after are some of the hallmarks of a fracture. Should be iced for 48 hrs, seen by a medical professional asap and x-rayed.
Dr. Howard Epps
Orthopedic Surgery 32 years experience
An x-ray can tell : You very well could have a fracture(s), especially one that isn't out of position. The only way to know for sure is to take an x-ray.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016