why do my hands and fingers itch when i pick up something cold? is it sensitivity to cold?

Dr. Raymond Wittstadt
35 years experience Hand Surgery
Cold urticaria: If some people, exposure to cold can trigger the release of histamine. This is the substance that causes itching when we have an insect bite or other allergic reaction. Obviously you can try to avoid the cold exposure, but if you can't, try anti-histamine type medication like Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or claritan. I think they both come in easily disolvable forms that you put under your tongue.
Answered on Jun 24, 2014