what could have cause red spots and lumps in my daughters mouth? on the sides top and down the throat are little red spots and on the back of her tongue and down the throat as well are lumps...the ones on the tongue are also red, she complains of everythi

Dr. Laura McMullen
It : It is most likely an infection and could be caused by a virus (most common), bacteria or fungus (pretty rare). Your best bet is to call her doctor and have her seen. Sometimes doctors can tell what it is just by looking, but often they have to do a throat culture to rule out strep throat. We worry about strep throat because if it is left untreated, it can develop into acute rheumatic fever which can cause permanent heart damage. The treatment depends on the cause - viruses you just have treat symptomatically, bacteria are treated with antibiotics, and fungi are treated with antifungals. The best treatments for a sore throat are: -ibuprofen or Acetaminophen for pain relief -hot tea with honey and lemon (as long as she is older than 1 year) -just honey to "coat the throat" -and if she is old enough - sometimes swishing, gargling and spitting maalox coats the throat and gives relief. Reasons to call her doctor or go to the emergency room are: -high fever (over 104f) -unable to swallow own saliva -difficulty breathing or change in voice -refusal to drink and dehydration -acting very sick such as very irritable or difficult to wake good luck! legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.
Dr. Thomas Yash
Dentistry 46 years experience
See pedo. : Not sure of age of your daughter. Does she have any spots or rings on hands or feet? There are as several possible causes for her affliction, bacterial(strep), viral(herpetic) or auto-immune. One disorder is the same as hoof and mouth disease. Your pediatrian should examine child. There is a simple mouth rinse with bendryl, xylocaine, (lidocaine) and kaopectate that coats. Numbs, and reduces inflammation.
Dr. Daniel Rubenstein
Dentistry 51 years experience
Sore mouth ; tongue: There are several possibilities. Acute or chronic herpetic gingivostomatitis, herpangina, and hand, foot and mouth disease. All are the result of viral infections. See your medical doctor, dentist or ENT specialist for a diagnosis and treatment.