what are breast shells?

Dr. Laura Webb
Protect nipples: Breast shells are used to protect sore nipples from the discomfort of touching your clothing. They can also be used to correct inverted nipples and help your baby breastfeed more easily. They are worn inside your bra.
Dr. Janesta Noland
Specializes in Pediatrics
Plastic cups : They are hard plastic cups that go over the breast with a hole in the center for the nipple. When you wear it under a bra, the nipple is pressed into the hole which both keeps the nipple away from fabric so it stays dry and unirritated, but also helps the nipple stand out for an easier latch when the baby feeds.
Dr. Otto Placik
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
Plastic disks: Breast shells are hollow plastic disks worn inside the brassiere to protect the nipple from becoming flattened. They are also used during inverted nipple treatments.
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Specializes in Pediatrics
Tx Brfeed problems: Breast shells are a plastic dome that fits over your nipple, inside your bra. Some are one piece, some are two piece, depending upon the problem that is being addressed. They can allow air to circulate around nipple, correct flat/inverted nipple, etc.