Is it stress or my heart hi, i was born with a heart murmur and ever since the 3rd grade i have had palpations. i also had my valves patched and a hole in my heart patched. this past december i had my gallbladder removed. i am also a dibetic. i get so str

Dr. Marko Yakovlevitch
Cardiology 35 years experience
This : This is a common question and an important one. We know that stress can have profound effects on the body, including the cardiovascular system. Stress can raise heart rate in people with normal, healthy hearts, and stress can also trigger or exacerbate heart arrhythmias in people who are susceptible to having them. In a similar way, stress can make heart burn worse, it can make nonspecific chest pain worse, and it can make angina (chest pain from coronary artery disease) worse. In other words, stress is an important factor and is likely playing a role, but the important question remains whether or not there is also an underlying cardiovascular problem that requires attention. The safest thing to do is to have a doctor you trust examine you and determine whether you are having arrhythmias or just a benign increase in heart rate. At the same time, you can use your symptoms and other feelings as a guide to how you are coping with the stresses in your life and whether you might need some help with those issues as well. My suggestion is that you not try to do this alone. Some kindhearted help from a skilled healthcare practitioner could make a world of difference and potentially protect you from having something bad happen that could have been avoided.
Dr. John Breinholt
Pediatric Cardiology 21 years experience
See a cardiologist: If you had surgery for a congenital heart defect, you should have a cardiologist. You were born with a septal defect (& some other things). The murmur was just the sound that led to the diagnosis. Many things can happen related to surgery. Without knowing specifics it's hard to say. With your other health issues, you need your cardiologist.