U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A male asked:

Can i have eyelid surgery if i have glaucoma? my eyelids are puffy and sag, and sometimes they droop into my field of vision. i want to have this corrected with eyelid surgery, but i have glaucoma. can i still get the surgery or are there any other option

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alma Murphy
Ophthalmology 47 years experience
Eyelid : Eyelid surgery is very successful at improving sagging eyelids. Your glaucoma should not interfere with eyelid surgery. If your upper visual field is blocked by your eyelids, then removing the excess will allow for more accurate visual field testing and therefore enhance future monitoring of your glaucoma.
Dr. Burke Chegar
Facial Plastic Surgery 26 years experience
Yes: Blepharoplasty is an effective treatment to remove excessive eyelid skin that interferes with vision. This procedure can safely be performed on patients who have glaucoma but an updated eye examination with your ophthalmologist before surgery is recommended.
Dr. John Park
Plastic Surgery 21 years experience
Yes. : Glaucoma by itself does not preclude you from getting upper or lower blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery). However, if you have had a trabeculectomy or shunt procedure for glaucoma, then the surgeon should be more judicious in recommending upper eyelid surgery and be more conservative with skin excision. Exposure of the filtering bleb from excessive skin excision can lead to serious complications.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.