how do i find an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in replacement shoulders i have had a total knee replacement done and would return to this doctor but he specializes in knees not shoulders. prefer one who does shoulders all day like the previous surge

Dr. Gregory Gramstad
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
One : One of the best ways to do this is to just ask the surgeon who did your knees for a referral, or two. Let him know what you are looking for and, chances are, he will know someone who does a good number of shoulder replacements. Look for someone with specialty training in shoulder conditions, and shoulder replacements in particular. You can also ask local physical therapists who they might recommend. For another resource, look to the american shoulder and elbow surgeons for a list of surgeon members in your area. http://spec.ases-assn.org/members/public/memdir.cfm listen to your gut, as well. You will need to be comfortable that your surgeon is someone you will be able to trust and form a good relationship with.
Dr. Ryan Pitts
Orthopedic Surgery 17 years experience
So Young....: I'm curious, you are very young to have had a total knee and now a total shoulder. Do you have ra, avn, or some other systemic problem ? Have you tried any non-op treatments or had the shoulder evaluated by someone and been told you need a replacement ? A total shoulder in a 33 year old is a big undertaking, and there may be some things that can be done to improve things w/o an operation.
Dr. David Fisher
Orthopedic Surgery 39 years experience
Ask TKA doc: If you have need for a shoulder procedure, ask your knee doctor for a recommendation or do some homework to find out who in your area is well respected and known for doing the procedure you need done. There are highly trained experts for this located around the country and you should be able to find one close to you.
Dr. Herman Hammerstead
Get referal: Ask for a referral from the Surgeon that you like. He'll take your asking as a compliment.