will a mole removal hurt? does a doctor use numbing cream or anything before they zap the mole or whatever it is they do? i have a pretty big mole in my neck that my doctor said looked fairly deep.

2 doctor answers
Dr. Matthew Bressie
Thanks : Thanks for your question! moles can be removed a number of ways. Usually they are either "shaved" off superficially with a scalpel, only removing the top few layers of skin where the mole is located, or they are excised, removing the full thickness of skin in the area containing the mole and closing it with sutures (stiches.) most doctors don't use a numbing cream. The only truly painful part of the procedure is when the area is numbed with an injection of pain medication such as lidocaine, the pain is usually a burning sensation and brief. You may feel pressure and temperature when the mole is removed, but it should not be painful after that. I've had a few moles removed myself so i know personally what it feels like! i hope this answers your question.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
2
Dr. Aaron Fay
Dr. Aaron Fay answered
27 years experience Facial Plastic Surgery
It hurts very little: Surgeons have many tricks to decrease the pain of excision. The techniques depend on the size, location, and type of growth. There are numbing creams that can be applied before a numbing injection is given. After the injection, there should be no further pain.
Answered on Apr 1, 2019