Do i have gout? many years ago i tore the ligaments in my ankle. for the past few years my ankle swells and hurts if i turn it a certain way, out of the blue. my doctor says it's gout, but my uric acid levels always come back in the normal range. i hav

Dr. Neal Birnbaum
Rheumatology 51 years experience
It's : It's hard to say if you have gout or not. Most but not all gout patients have their initial attacks in the bunion joint of the big toe and also have an elevated serum uric acid level. While gout likes to go into previously injured joints, your problem may also be due to post-traumatic degenerative changes. Suggestions: 1.Try having your uric acid checked at a time when you are not having acute symptoms, curiously, it may be higher than during an acute attack. 2. Has you ankle been x-rayed? Films may show the presence of bone spurs and other degenerative changes versus the changes of chronic gout. 3. If the anke is swollen, aspiration of the joint for crystal analysis is the definitive way to make a diagnosis of gout.
Dr. Joseph Hogan
Podiatry 46 years experience
Evaluation: This does not sound as if gout is the underlying cause. Needs to be evaluated by a certified podiatrist.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016