Ghana

I am having hepatatisb and my wife is vaccinated against hep b if she give birth will the child get hepatitis b?

Dr. Larry Lutwick
Infectious Disease 49 years experience
No: If she is immune, baby will be ok but needs to be vaccinated after birth.
Dr. Michael Amster
Specializes in Pediatrics
Is she negative?: If you as the male have hep b, and she does not, and it is documented, the risk is low for the baby. Some may not convert right away though, so she may be in the early stages of infection, and so covering the baby with hep b Immune Globulin at birth may be a good idea (just tell the OB about the exposure). Most likely risk would come from direct exposure from you to the baby, so immunize at birth.

Last updated Sep 28, 2016