if i have multiple sclerosis do i need to see a retina specialist along with my regular eye doctor?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Richard Bensinger
51 years experience Ophthalmology
Probably not: Ms is best handled under the care of a neuro-ophthalmologist or a neurologist specializing in multiple sclerosis.
Answered on Jan 23, 2019
Dr. Jon Fishburn
29 years experience Ophthalmology
MS, EYE: I generally recommend a multidisciplinary approach involving an opthalmologist (general is fine), a neurologist, and a radiologist. My practice has a neuroophthalmologist so i typically by-pass the neurologist. I don't believe a retina specialist is necessary, unless something were unusual.
Answered on Dec 9, 2013
51 years experience Neurology
Not sure why: Usually, MS is handled by neurology, and no need for ophthalmology, unless you have complex eye symptoms. However, if you are to use Gilenya, (fingolimod) a potent MS agent, an eye specialist can be used to do optical coherent tomography, to assess presence of macular edema to assess risk of using this medication.
Answered on Aug 26, 2014