Sparks, NV

follow up. if my my bp varies do i have high bp. should i check at home and if the average is > 140/90 it's high. i sometimes see readings like 144/78?

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Normal 110-139/60-89: Blood pressure varies throughout the day and it is dependent of your body size/height, and activities etc..In a healthy person, pressure may be well over 200 during weight lifting and could be below 100 during sleep..But if your average BP while awake/at rest that is consistently above 140 i would consider that high for 48 yr old regardless of your height/weight...Consult doc..Good luck.
Dr. Joseph Bouvier
See below: If you average is > 140/90, the 90 is more concerning than the 140 at your age. I would get this looked at by your physician. If it only happens in the doc's office, it my be "white coat hypertension" or stress felt while at the doctor thus raising your bp. Also, high BP requires three different bp's taken on different days and agents like caffeine can raise BP too. Nevertheless, get checked.