U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old female asked:

i've been having pain underneath my ribcage. it becomes more and more frequent, as well as painful. i've been to radiology but no answer as to why.?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jake Heiney
Orthopedic Surgery 19 years experience
Pain under ribcage: Pain in that location can be because of a number of causes. It would be wise to see an orthopaedic surgeon and a general surgeon for a complete work up and potential causes.
Dr. Steven Greenberg
Radiology 32 years experience
Agree with above. There are multiple potential causes of pain that may be referred to area under ribcage. Also, it would be useful to know if there is any history of any sort of trauma or any underlying medical conditions.
Jul 13, 2013
Dr. Ernst Garcon
Diagnostic Radiology 30 years experience
Maybe wrong imaging: Yo should go first to a good practitioner that know how to clinically examine a patient. It's not only about your complains, but also what they found on your clinical exam. Those two things will dictate what kind of radiology exam you need to find out why you are in pain. It could be any thing from your skin to the internal organs. If the wrong test is done, it will be negative. That's frequent.
Dr. Andrea Lundell
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I agree. You may have gotten the wrong radiology test, or the radiologist may have gotten the wrong clinical information. Since your pain is increasing in frequency and intensity, I would seek out a good practitioner as Dr. Garcon suggests, with good clinical skills.
May 31, 2015
Dr. Carl Decker
Radiology 24 years experience
Depends: Have you seen a general practitioner? The answer to your question depends on which side the pain is on as well as what activities may bring on the pain. You may have had a sonogram to look at your gallbladder and liver. You may also have had a chest x-ray. Your doctor may have concluded that the pain was musculoskeletal. Can you give any more details?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 39-year-old female asked:

Having pain, pressure and popping sound with large incional hernia. N/v unable to have bm. Is this normal it hasnt hurt before.?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
Post op complication: If you are having pain, not having any bowel movement and you are sick please get to the closest emergency room if you can. Call 911 if you must. If you are hesitant please page the surgeon on call for your surgeon to make sure that someone can give you exact advice today.
A 40-year-old member asked:

Will pain in the butt after an injection go away soon?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Emergency Medicine 18 years experience
Sure: Eventually it will. Depending on the medication injected, the location, and any bruising/bleeding, the time to resolution will vary, but should be gone within a week or so.
A 30-year-old member asked:

Is my tailbone pain from a fall? How to treat?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Luanswered
Orthopedic Surgery 24 years experience
It can be: Tailbone injuries can be extremely painful. Fortunately, they rarely cause any permanent damage and rarely need any kind of intervention. Unfortunately, little can be done to speed up recovery or change its course. Treatment usually involves avoiding pain, using soft cushions or doughnuts, and resting.
A 38-year-old member asked:

Why does my calf hurt when I stand on my toes?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Eric Lullove
Podiatry 19 years experience
Tight Calf Muscles!: The reason your calf hurts is how tight the entire muscle group is. When you stand on your toes, the calf muscle contracts, and if it is tight, then you may have pain. Performing runners' stretches are very beneficial and should help reduce the pain. If it continues, seek medical treatment with a podiatrist.
A member asked:

I m having upper and left hypochondrium pain since 5 years I have taken lot of proton pump inhibitors and took lot of medicines for IBS also.Wat shal?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Internal Medicine 41 years experience
No easy answer: Ongoing pain in the upper abdomen that has not responded to standard treatments can pose a difficult problem to solve. Best to start with a thorough evaluation by a good gastroenterologist.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Nov 27, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.