i had surgery to fix broken metacarpal. is there a test that could determine the successfulness of surgery?

Dr. David Yan
Plastic Surgery 20 years experience
X-ray: Usually, a hand surgeon will obtain x-rays a few weeks after the repair to assess how well the bones are healing and to check the alignment.
Dr. Robert Gluck
Hand Surgery 39 years experience
X-ray findings are of course important but one also needs to evaluate function in terms of motion and strength i.e the bone may look fine on x-ray but function may be limited and require more or better therapy
Dec 21, 2011
Dr. Bauback Safa
Plastic Surgery 20 years experience
X-ray or Fluoroscan: A post-operative x-ray or a fluoroscan (if your hand surgeon has one in his/her office) can assess proper reduction (alignment), proper placement of surgical hardware, and evidence of bony fusion.
Dr. Robert Gluck
Hand Surgery 39 years experience
Agree though of course the x-ray findings may lag the clinical picture and so need to be evaluated within the clinical context i.e. the hand may be usable/functional with a stable bone in exam even without clear evidence of healing on x-ray
Dec 24, 2011
Dr. Robert Gluck
Hand Surgery 39 years experience
Good Exam: While of course x-rays are an important part of the evaluation, at the end of the day success is defined by function. You can have a perfectly fine x-ray with a poor result if you don't have proper rehabilitation of the so-called soft tissues i.E if the hand is stiff and/or weak. Best of luck.