what are the benefits of water birth?

Dr. Braden Richmond
Comfort vs risk: Water births are touted for those foregoing pain medicine, especially epidurals. They provide weightlessness, and can help patients manage labor pain better. However, if one chooses to have a water delivery, there can be problems including increased risk of infection, problems with managing the perineum or the head during the delivery, and aspiration, with severe consequences for the baby.
Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Kevin Daus commented
There are a lot of people requesting this form of delivery. I think it is a personal choice and should be made with the help of the provider. I have found an objective article from Web MD I put on my web page. I have personally seen where laboring in the water helped with pain relief but every mother is different. http://kevindausmd.com/links.html
Feb 26, 2015
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology 30 years experience
See below: There are multiple techniques offered for childbirth, and new techniques, as well as old ones, come in and out of vogue. What seems to work best is what works for you. I have worked at hospitals with and without water births. As an anesthesiologist i will say that a water birth means that the use of epidural anesthesia is not possible, or extremely difficult.
Dr. Larry Xanthopoulos
Water birth: Water birth may be used during stage 1 of labor (contractions start up to cervix fully dilated). It has shown to decrease pain, keeps pt from needing anesthesia and speeds up labor. Studies have shown that water birth does not improve medical outcome for mom or child
Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Kevin Daus commented
Remember there are 2 parts to the process. Some moms want to labor in the water and deliver out of the water. The water birth is truly where the baby is delivered under water.
Feb 26, 2015
Dr. Clarene Cress
Specializes in Pediatrics
Possible benefits: may include helping the mother relax and roll side to side which may ease the discomfort and decrease the need for anesthesia during the first stage of labor, that is, until the cervix is dilated. There are no proven benefits and possible significant complications of water birth during second stage of labor and actual delivery.
Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Kevin Daus commented
I have seen water immersion help with pain. The birth underwater has no good studies for one to say it is bad or better. I have found a good objective article by Web MD that I put on my web page that everyone should read.... http://kevindausmd.com/links.html
Feb 26, 2015