can laser eye surgery help me if cataracts?

Dr. Richard Lehrer
Ophthalmology 33 years experience
Usually not: If patients desire laser vision correction surgery, cataracts should be ruled out first. If the cataract is the cause of poor vision, surgery for the cataract will usually correct it. Vision correction for astigmatism and presbyopia can be done at the same time if desired.
Dr. Robert Chang
Specializes in Ophthalmology
New technology: Femtosecond laser assisted cataract surgery is now available at some centers at a cost to help make incisions and to carve the lens into small pieces for removal.
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology 27 years experience
YES: But most likely is not indicated. If you have problems due to the cataracts, the cataracts need to be fixed. A laser may only be a temporary fix.
Dr. Rajesh Khanna
Ophthalmology 29 years experience
No: If you are talking about the usual lasik eye surgery then it will not help you. Although today, many surgeons are advanced and use laser cataract surgery, in which the procedure is more precise.
Dr. Richard Witlin
LASIK Surgery 46 years experience
No: A cataract is a loss of clarity of the lens of the eye. it is treated by removing the lens. Although we can use a laser to help remove the cataract (femto-laser assisted cataract surgery), this is an entirely different laser than the one used to correct your prescription in performing laser eye surgery. The presence of a cataract normally disqualifies a person for laser eye surgery