i was really dizzy last night. checked my sugar and it was 302! wow. took my metformin and it went down some. but now today i don't feel good. pain in my stomach and diarrhea. is this possible from the pill?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Specializes in Endocrinology
See your doctor: While metformin can cause stomach pain and diarrhea, in your case, it could be the high blood sugar and uncontrolled diabetes that could be causing these symptoms. See your doctor to see if you need to intensify your treatment regimen. Metformin is a great drug but it is a slow acting medication and won't bring down your blood sugar fast enough ( in the 300's).
Answered on Oct 30, 2012
Dr. Marc Hirsch
Possible: I would check your sugar often, write it down & review it with your doctor. It may be that you need additional medication or advise about your food & exercise. You're young so you could use this to step up your diabetes control & live a better quality & healthier life.
Answered on Oct 30, 2012