what exercises and spinal positions should i avoid if i have a lumbar disc herniation?

Dr. Bryan Levey
Several: Generally, you're going to want to avoid high impact exercises as they may worsen the herniation. Avoid rapid starts and stops. Emphasize exercises that gently stretch, like yoga, and remember to respect your body; when something causes you pain, don't do it. I would also strongly advise seeing someone who specializes in this type of problem. You need to fix it and not make it worse.
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 40 years experience
Depends: This can depend on how the disc herniated. In general, you want to avoid any one position too long except a fetal one. Twisting & bending could make you feel worse. Avoiding rowing, raquel sports and golf as well as weight lifting especially squats & dead lifts would be prudent. Generally, cardiovascular exercises & stretching should be ok but check to see which may aggravate your symptoms.