I'm getting an epidural steroid injection. what should i expect?

Dr. Samyukta Mullangi
Dr. Samyukta Mullangianswered
Dermatology 7 years experience
Injection: Epidural glucocorticoid injections (also referred to as "corticosteroid injections" or "steroid injections") involve the administration of steroids in the space between the dura and the spine. Epidural injections have been used in patients with radiculopathy, spinal stenosis, and nonspecific low back pain. A recent report showed no long-term efficacy in chronic lumbar radiculopathy.
Dr. James Henning
Anesthesiology 50 years experience
Lots of relief!: A question that deserves a longer answer; it depends on "where, " "how" severe your problem is, how many previous injections you may have gotten, the experience of the care provider, the type of steroid used (have you been reading the news about the problems with compunding pharmacy related medicines?)..A great question for your personal anesthesiologist or physiatrist.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 17 years experience
Expect an Injection: Epidural injections are common and if you have had any type of injection it should not be much different. The local anesthetic to numb the skin typically burns abit. Your doctor should be using fluoroscopic x-ray guidance to do this injection. Occasionally, you may feel back pain or a nerve pain sensation as the needle is placed appropriately and medication is instilled into your spine.