Moldova

after5 mounths of my 2 right tmj arthroscopy i have experienced pops pain but also like a pice of something blocking in the joint. what could it be?

Dr. TED FEDER
Dr. TED FEDER answered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 40 years experience
DisK Malfunctioning: The popping is the disk cartilage snapping forward out of position. If it does not snap back, it is blocking the joint when trying to open. Try an oral orthotic (mouth piece, night guard).
Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dentistry 23 years experience
Displaced disc: It sounds like your TMJ disc is displaced. It is likely displaced anteriorly and not going back into place when you close. There are nerves in the tissue behind the disc and the head of the condyle is most likely pressing against this tissue which is causing the pain. Not sure why you had 2 arthroscopic procedures on this joint as it is a very complicated structure. Go back to dr. And tell him/her.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
Seek help: I believe that you should go back to the doctor who performed the surgery and report your symptoms. Each case may vary based upon severity of the problem and duration.
Dr. Duane Keller
Dentistry 45 years experience
And Just Why???????: What caused the joint to go bad in the first place should be addressed first, not the effect (joint injury). I have never seen a success when you leave the cause and treat the effect. See if you can find a dentist who can help you find the best functional joint position, reduce muscle compromise and then determine what needs to be done. Surgery is not the answer without rx the causes.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Disk: Sounds like the disk is interfering. Arthroscopy like any surgery is not 100% effective. Ask your TMJ surgeon. You may need open TMJ surgery.

Last updated Aug 9, 2019