my neurologist ask me to do the ana test , because i'm probably a ms patient first time it was positive and after 2 years with the ifa , negative. why?

2 doctor answers
48 years experience Pathology
Biologic variation: Titers of antibodies do decline with time, if there is no ongoing stimulation. You probably had a low titer ANA and it declined becasue there was no more stimulation to the system. Please note that this is similar to the titer of antibodyies to vaccines declining with age.
Answered on May 12, 2015
2
51 years experience Neurology
See below: Typical to check ANA to rule out lupus as cause of brain symptoms, and a low titer is of limited significance, and does indeed fluctuate.
Answered on Sep 6, 2014