My dad age 56 is diagnosed with ncpf, portal hypertension, enlarged spleen, fluid in stomach. Banding was done twice in 3 years. Is it near end stage?

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
40 years experience in Internal Medicine
Depends on condition: Non cirrhotic portal fibrosis (ncpf) is a syndrome of unclear cause that occurs among disadvantaged groups - and is rare in the us. There is elevation of the portal vein pressure, which leads to bleeding from stomach or esophageal varices (and an enlarged spleen). Prognosis is generally good if the bleeding can be controlled. For recurrent bleeding, sometimes a shunt is placed to reduce pressure.
Answered on Nov 2, 2015
1