are cataracts treated by laser surgery?

Dr. John Odette
Ophthalmology 15 years experience
Maybe: There are now a few places in the us and worldwide doing "laser cataract surgery." a laser is used for the first portion of the surgery and the remainder is completed manually just like we have done for the past 20 years. This technology should become much more prevalent over then next few years.
Dr. Harvey Fishman
Ophthalmology 21 years experience
Now yes : Femtosecond laser assisted cataract surgery is just now emerging for the treatment of cataracts. Still in its infancy many believe that this is the future of cataract surgery . The technology is very expensive and has yet to be proven superior in safety or effectiveness. However in theory it may be a great advance in the field and could become the standard of care within several years
Dr. Christopher Hood
Ophthalmology 15 years experience
Not generally: Using a laser to perform cataract surgery is only available in very select practices and is not covered by insurance. Typical cataract surgery is performed using a small blade to make an incision in the eye and ultrasound to remove the cloudy lens. Great results are usually achieved with modern cataract surgery.