what's the difference between a pulled hamstrings and a hamstring strain?

Dr. Michael Sparacino
Same entitiy: Same entity.

What are ways to keep my hamstring healthy?

Dr. James Chen
Sports Medicine 15 years experience
Hamstring Strength: Hamstring injuries are notoriously nagging injuries for athletes involved in explosive sports that involve sudden sprinting such as soccer, rugby, track & field, etc. Eccentric strength training of the hamstring has been shown to prevent hamstring pulls in elite soccer players. My recommended exercise to prevent hamstring injury is the eccentric nordic exercise.

How can I recover from a torn hamstring?

Dr. James Chen
Sports Medicine 15 years experience
Torn Hamstring: It depends on the severity. In general grade 1 strains usually recover in under 3 weeks. Grade 2 strains/tears - 4 to 6 weeks. Grade 3 tears - 8 to 12 weeks. Typically surgery is not recommended and recovery involves rest, stretching, and controlled strengthening. However, if 2 of the 3 tendons are avulsed from the origin, early surgery to repair the tendon to the origin would be an option.

Is it normal for me to have fluid behind my thigh?

Dr. James Chen
Sports Medicine 15 years experience
It depends: It depends on the location. Behind the thigh in the mid to upper thigh region would be unusual. If it is lower down near the knee then that is not uncommon and may represent a cyst or fluid filled cavity. It would be important to know whether you are talking about a swollen area (muscle strain), a discrete mass (tumor or fatty lump), or a fluctuant area (fluid filled space).

How should I treat my pulled quad?

Dr. Vishal Shah
Orthopedic Surgery 19 years experience
R.I.C.E. and Rehab: Always seek medical evaluation if your condition does not improve with treatment. Briefly, care for a quad strain should initially involve ice, rest, and a compressive wrap. Early range of motion is important when pain allows, followed by gradual strengthening exercises and methodical and controlled increase in activities. Medications and physical therapy can be helpful as well.

How long does it take to mend a strained hamstring?

Dr. Joseph Hermann
Six weeks: This is just a ballpark timeframe assuming a simple strain and no aggravating circumstances. Consult a physical therapist to learn how to maximize healing in the shortest amount time.

Last updated Apr 25, 2017