India

how can you prevent posterior cruciate ligament (pcl) injury ?

Dr. Howard Luks
Dr. Howard Luksanswered
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
You can't :-(: Tears of the PCL will occur if a significant amount of energy is placed across the knee and in the right direction. Like if your knee hits the dashboard in car accident. That will push your shin backwards and potentially tear your pcl. Pcl tears can not be prevented.
Dr. James Chen
Sports Medicine 15 years experience
Strong knee: Pcl injuries are somewhat rare and they usually occur by trauma such as car accidents and falls. Thus being safe is good prevention. Having very strong knee musculature and quads can help prevent PCL injury as well. Other than that it is not like the acl injury where there is a high rate of noncontact or pivoting causes of injury.