what is treatment for a contusion hair line fracture in your knee cap?

Dr. Vlad Gendelman
Orthopedic Surgery 17 years experience
Depends on direction: This depends on the direction of fracture. If the fracture is horizontal, the knee has to be immobilized to prevent possible displacement of the fracture and disruption of the knee extensor mechanism. If the fracture is vertical, you don't have to do much. Just don't do anything that causes pain in the knee and try to prevent any further trauma for about 2-3 months.
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Sports Medicine 36 years experience
Not Surgery!: The treatment is conservative. I would suggest a hinged knee brace with or without crutches. This should get better without any surgery though. Sometimes a short course of therapy is helpful as well.