my husband just got a cold sore and touched my 2 month old son on the hand after flossing. my baby often puts his hands in his mouth. can he get it?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Carla Enriquez
49 years experience Pediatrics
Not likely: It is remotely possible that the baby will get a herpes infection but very unlikely.
Answered on Sep 19, 2012
1
Dr. James Sidman
39 years experience Pediatric ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Possible: Possible but not not likely. It usually takesore exposure than that.
Answered on Sep 19, 2012
Dr. John DeWolf
39 years experience Dentistry
Yes, possibly: If it's a viral lesion, it is potentially transmissible if the baby gets active virus inside his mouth. If the cold sore is of non-viral origin, it is less clearly transmissible.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016