Minneapolis, MN

how's critical of not going through 2nd surgery to reattach my big toe tendon? tendon was not messy injured but straight cut. 1st repair no success.

Dr. Christopher DePorter
Podiatry 30 years experience
Somewhat critical ..: The great toe is essential for a powerful push off and for balance, i would seek a surgeon who can give you some level of confidence that it can be repaired. My advice is to get it repaired of possible, especially if you are an active person
Dr. Marybeth Crane
Podiatry 27 years experience
Tendons can heal: A torn tendon can heal on its own but there is no way to predict how it will function due to shortening or lengthening. A surgical repair is more predictable. Also if your great toe doesn't work right you may limp for life due to lack of propulsion in gait.
Dr. Fred Birnbaum
Podiatry 43 years experience
There may be adhesions that are preventing the tendon from functioning properly. Therapy after the surgery can help restore function once the injury is repaired.
Sep 19, 2012
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
I would be curious: As to the failure of the first surgery as the surgery is straight forward. There are possible sequela of not repairing. It all depends on your activity and life style. Big toe joint function is important in walking. The decision is yours speak your surgeon, maybe seek 2nd opinoin.

Last updated Jan 3, 2015