metabolic diseases vs auto-immune in fit, health-conscious young female... is there a way to better guide docs to do the right study w/broad symptoms?

44 years experience Pathology
No: Please forgive my frankness. Cookbook is better than no-book in diagnosing disease, but not much better. We refer to "vague" symptoms and wait until either there's a clearly abnormal physical finding or clearly abnormal lab, or someone clever picks up one of the ~40 "tough calls" that range from fibromyalgia to porphyria to sleep apenea to carbon monoxide from a faulty home heater.
Answered on Sep 9, 2019
1
44 years experience Pathology
Provided original answer
Your question is of some personal interest to me. After three decades in medical education, I made a little cartoon to help doctors think a little more before they tell someone, "It's all in your head." I hope you will not find it disrespectful. http://www.pathguy.com/lectures/somatize.gif
Sep 19, 2012