Charlottesville, VA

i have a low iga and lupus like symptoms. my ana is negative. can i develop lupus?

Dr. Douglas Mund
Rheumatology 46 years experience
Unlikely: Lupus like symptoms is quite vague. As lupus potentially can affect any organ system in the body, many symptoms are consistent with those seen in lupus. Low IgA is not a typical feature of lupus. It is more commonly seen in certain bowel disorders in which, many symptoms overlap with those seen in lupus.
Pathology 44 years experience
Probably not: There are a host of poorly-understood diseases in the "common variable immunodeficiency" category, including those that may include an arthritis and feelings of being unwell. In lupus, the labs, including the ana, usually are positive well before the disease announces itself, as we've learned from looking at preserved specimens. Good luck.